Saturday, May 7, 2011

Poetic Duality

Vices

I get drunk on long legs,
As smooth as Kentucky moonshine,
And I hang like cigarette smoke
On red lips like sweet Amaretto.
You burn in my throat, in my chest,
Like bourbon,
Smoky and sultry, dizzying
My thoughts and tuning my senses
Like guitar strings.
You are the inspiration
In every fit of drunken laughter,
Every song I ever play,
In the silence and worlds I craft,
You are the summer sunshine,
That kisses my forehead
And the stars that glitter
On the beach at night.

I can’t see you for the haze
Of scotch or mead,
Or wine as golden as
The locks that hide the corners
Of your mouth when you smile,
But I can feel the way your fingers
Fit mine and fill the spaces
Between them,
Like lazy days spent dreaming
Or sunsets,
Where the sky is paved with fire,
And I can drink you down,
In the failing light,
And never, ever, imbibe enough.


Paradise

Come,
Cross this ancient river with me,
And seek the ageless treasure
Beyond.
Oak and maple and golden sun,
The untouched earth
Beckons,
She aches for hands to
Till the virgin soil,
For bare feet to
Race through the emerald grass,
For young lovers to rush,
Naked,
To wash and take their passion
In pristine lakes.

Come,
Hand in hand
Through Eden
Let’s make our solitary way.

No comments:

Post a Comment