Monday, September 27, 2010

A Dream of Unrequited Hunger

Originally Posted: 10/14/09

I've seen you all over the place, flitting from shadow to shadow across the imaginary landscape, the vague, hazy outline of a world where dreams dwell. I've seen you clothed in scraps, probably all you could find in the aftermath of the fallout. I've seen you wrapped in blankets made to look like the midnight sky, to keep you concealed, to keep you away from me. I've seen you and wondered what you are, what you do, and what it would be like to touch you.

First you try to fuck it...

I've wandered after you, trying to lay hands on skin that looks like porcelain. Someone carved you from something precious. Someone made you to be perfect. That much is certain. But what I am I to do?

Then you try to eat it....

You know I'm here. Night after night I pursue you and night after night you flee, taking wing through this gray and insubstantial place until you're lost from sight, until I have to return another night to chase you. Why don't you just stand still? Why don't you let me touch you? You see how quickly I become disoriented, distorted, my intentions turn sour.

If it hasn't learned your name you gotta kill it before they see it.

You're elusive, evasive, invasive. You crawled inside me somehow and I have to wonder if I leave part of myself in this place when I'm awake the way I leave my body in the real world when I sleep. Is that how you did it? You waited until I left that lingering connection there and crawled inside, just waiting for me to return? I'm afraid you've slipped into the physical world now and there's nothing but a relfection left of you in the devastated place where we met. I'm afraid I'll never find you. Worse yet, this ugly place has already claimed your life. They'll eat the sweet meat from your bones and leave the rest for carrion, the same as I would have done. The only difference is that I love you, and the others are nothing but cannibals.

Missing vital pieces,
-S.R.

No comments:

Post a Comment